Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Flash Fiction- The Genre that Transcends Incarceration



You have 500 words. No more, no less. Now, write about a party that you went to, and what adventures you had. Write about what it feels like to be the last man (or woman) on Earth. Write about a personal experience, but you only have 500 words. Ready? Go.

That, dear readers, is the genre of Flash Fiction. It has several names, Short Short Stories, Sudden Fiction, Micro Stories, or Post Card Stories. Call it what you like, but these stories are short, they are sweet, and they are like a snap shot of words.

The inmates at Jail North have really taken to the concept of Flash Fiction. Yes, it’s a challenge for them to write something so brief, but they like the idea and boundaries of the assignments. How do you facilitate it? Well, here is my Flash Fiction guide:

1. Get a volume or two of Flash Fiction stories and introduce your participants to the genre. Flash Fiction Forward is an excellent collection. Stories like Jumper Down, The Voices in My Head, and Toasters are excellent character studies. They also give participants an idea of how to create a character within one or two paragraphs. It’s not easy.
2. I’ve been using Stephen King’s On Writing to give students an idea of how to improve their writing skills. Specifically, I’ve been using the Toolbox chapter, where Stephen King talks about building a better story through proper grammar, vocabulary, and writing style. I also used King’s The Stand, which has a brief interlude to the story in Chapter 38 and is actually a collection of Flash Fiction stories. This is where I got the idea for the Last Man on Earth assignment. Thank you, Stephen King.
3. Brainstorm with your participants. I had a big white board and I wrote the assignment in the middle (The Last Man on Earth). Then I had the guys give me ideas about potential stories. I explained that anything goes, this is just the planning period. We talked about perspective; would they write it from their perspective as the last person on Earth, or someone else’s? The guys wrote everything down as used it as a guide for their own story.
4. Read stories out loud! Giving feedback is crucial, especially to participants who might have never gotten any type of feedback on their writing before this class. I always took notes when a participant read his story, and I encouraged the guys to take notes while critiquing other stories too. I set up the feedback portion of the class as a way to provide helpful critique, not hurtful, and of course, to respect the person who is reading. I have not had a problem with the critiques; the inmates were very constructive and supportive of each other’s work.
5. Edit, and then edit again. The idea of editing might be second nature to some of us, but for others editing is the most difficult process. The participants in my Flash Fiction class had a hard time ‘cutting down’ their stories because they really liked them. However, I pointed out that many of their descriptions could be edited down to a few sentences, not a few paragraphs. Because the inmates had to hand-write their stories, I tell them that 500 words is roughly one page of written material, front and back.

The class has gone well and I have been very impressed with the quality of work the participants have written. There are several in my class of nine who say that they are not writers, but they love to hear the stories. I let these guys stay in the class because they were very active in the discussions and critique, and provided good insight into several stories. Next week is the last class, and while I am sorry to see it end I am so glad that I was able to introduce these guys to this exciting genre.
Feel free to take this program and use it wt your library (or school). It works well both in jail and out.

No comments: