Thursday, May 29, 2008

Beatnik Cafe, Simply Science, and Away Games


Beatnik Cafe
Originally uploaded by toran23
May has been a busy month. Recently I have started offering several of my portable workshops to teachers as a classroom visit. My portable school programs are simply library programs that have worked in the branches and I take them on the road. If ImainOn is my home court, then the portable school programs are the away games.
Currently I offer Beatnik Café and Simply Science and they have both proved very popular with both students and teachers. Beatnik Café is a poetry program (obviously). As you have guessed by the title, Beatniks are part of the formula. I dress up in black, wear a beret and play the bongos while reciting poems. After my antics have loosened up the kids, I encourage them to come up and read a poem while I accompany on the bongos. Sometimes the kids read poems they have written; sometimes they use one of the many poetry books I bring and find inspiration there. I always bring an extra set of bongos and have an assistant bongo player. Then I hand over my bongos to an eager student and keep the Café moving. By the end of the program all of the kids (even the shy ones) have either read or poem or played a bongo. Sometimes the teachers jump in. I wrap up the program with a plug for the 811 poetry section in non-fiction. The kids leave thinking how cool the library is. Can you dig it, man?
Simply Science is a great hands-on program that introduces basic science concepts to kids. It started as a workshop I did for teachers and then I realized that it could be easily adjusted for a classroom visit. I keep the experiments simple. For example; baking soda and vinegar mixed together make a cold reaction (endothermic) and peroxide and yeast make a hot reaction (exothermic). Discuss. I made a nifty little Science Notebook that the kids can use to record their observations and hypothesis. I end the class with a reference to the 500’s science section, a list of cool science books, and a hopefully a burning thirst for more science knowledge.
The sad thing is that many of the kids have not been to their local library. Sure they know that there is a library filled with books, but why would they want to go there? What can the library possible offer them? Well, it can tell you more about rockets and exothermic reactions, for one thing. Not to mention the plethora of awesome, FREE programs that are offered, for any age group.
This interests the kids. They have rockets at the library? Beatniks too? So the library is….kind of cool?
It’s the problem of the modern librarian: We offer these fabulous, free programs that are just as spectacular as video games (and some of them are video games) but we need to get the word out that This Is Not Your Momma’s Library. Kids are welcome, we are here for you.
Now I don’t really care if kids think librarians are cool, but I do care if they think the library is relevant. And I think that the away games are a great way to do that.
I have one more Simply Science tomorrow, then I’m winding down for the summer. However, I already have several requests for the fall and I am developing new away games (literacy games, anyone?) that hopefully will continue to delight young patrons.
If anyone would like the write ups for Simply Science or Beatnik Café, leave a comment and I will be happy email them to you. I also send the teachers evaluations, so I can send the template with the program. As always, feel free to use and adjust.

No comments: