Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Information Overload

I might have bitten off more than I can chew for the summer as I plan to take three grad school courses in my attempt to graduate in December 2009. Crazy, right? Right.

Truth be told, my introduction class for the spring semester wasn't that bad. I thoroughly enjoyed the content, the readings, the assignments... OK, I am a perpetual nerd, so the school work didn't bother me. I aced the course, now I have a break in May until June 2nd, when my Materials for Early Childhood and Introduction to Research in Library and Information Science classes begin.

On the surface Summer 1 doesn't look so bad... read 100 picture books and review them for Materials (should be fun) watch the classroom DVD, learn about puppets, flannel boards, story times, and round out the class with a few papers and a campus visit. I'm in the distance education program so a face to face lecture should be fun. For Research I read two-three chapters a week and will have a research project due. Online participation and class discussion postings via Blackboard are mandatory for each class, natch.

I'm not think about Summer 2 until, well, later.

Here's the thing: I believe that what will make me a good librarian will be the things that I am experiencing in my current job, and skills I have learned in past jobs. There's not really a flannel board that can teach you how to facilitate a graphic novels class to youth offenders in county jail, 'ya know? But more on that issue later.

That being said, I have to say that I am enjoying the degree itself and the book learning that is coming with it. I think right now I have the best of both worlds- working in a library while working on my MLIS- and I do intend to make the most of it.

So yes, I might be taking on a lot but really, you only live once and I want to go full throttle on this degree and get the most out of it that I can. I am very interested to see how this summer will shape up.

Cheers, Snarky Readers.


1 comment:

Ani Masi said...

Glad you're liking it...I can't wait to start school.